A Note From The L.A. Teen Therapist
Psycho-diagnostic testing is used to determine the cause and nature of a teen’s difficulties with academic performance. – Sandra
COMMON LEARNING DISORDERS INCLUDE:
- Auditory Processing Disorder
- Visual Processing Disorder
- ADHD (not a true learning disorder–but can contribute to learning difficulties)
- Asperger’s Syndrome (not a true learning disorder–but can contribute to learning difficulties)
Once it has been determined that your teen would benefit from an Individualized Education Plan (IEP), your child becomes eligible for special accommodations at school. Some of these include, but are not limited to:
- Being moved to the front of the classroom.
- Receiving extra time on tests and quizzes.
- Written instructions from the teacher regarding homework assignments.
- Extra time with the teachers.
Clarifying the problem is the first step towards getting your teen the support they need. It is important that school personnel understand that your teen’s challenges are not originating from a behavioral problem. (although frustration stemming from unaddressed learning challenges can result in “acting out” behaviors)
While learning disorders do present a challenge to your teen’s academic success, they do not need to derail their educational process. With emotional and educational support, teens with learning disorders can have a positive and successful high school experience.
Worried About Your Teen? FREE Initial Consultation.
For more information, please visit my website:
Adolescent Therapist|Parent Coach|Teen Mentor
Providing service for: Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Beverly Hills, Beverly Glen, Culver City, Brentwood, Westwood, Marina Del Rey, Mar Vista, Encino, Sherman Oaks, Topanga Beach and Topanga Canyon, Ocean Park, Hancock Park, West Hollywood.